Guidelines for Virtual Poster Presentation
2021 UF Plant Science Council Symposium Poster Competition
Poster Submission Deadline: January 20, 2021
Email PDF of poster and recording to with the subject line “2021 Symposium Poster Submission” by January 20, 2021
Poster Size and Format
• Poster must be submitted in PDF format
• We recommend making your poster on PowerPoint in Landscape format, then save as a PDF
• Poster can only be one slide
• The top of the poster should display the following information: Title of your Poster, Name(s) of the Author(s), and Affiliation(s)
Content of the Poster
• Make sure that the specific sections (such as the background, methods, results, and conclusions) are easy to locate in the poster.
• Try to reduce the amount of text and increase the font size (30 and above is recommended).
• Avoid full sentences and rather use short text in bullet point format.
• Figures and illustrations should be static; do not embed videos or animation.
HOW TO RECORD YOUR POSTER Posters will be recorded on Zoom and emailed as a URL (website link) along with the PDF to by January 20, 2021. Recording should be 3 minutes maximum.
Video instructions can be found at: https://support.zoom.us/hc/enus/articles/203741855-Cloud-Recording
1. Open the Zoom Client and Sign In with your account information
2. From the Home tab, start a meeting with video
3. Join with computer audio, unmute your microphone, and start video
4. Share Screen: Share your poster in PowerPoint format and make it full screen
5. Record: Once you are sharing your screen, click on “More” then “Record to the Cloud” to begin recording your presentation.
6. Give your presentation. Remember it can be 3 minutes maximum.
7. Stop recording: When you are finished with your presentation, go back to “More” and click “Stop Recording”. When you are asked “Do you want to stop cloud recording?”, click “Yes”.
8. In a few minutes, you will receive an email from Zoom with the subject “Cloud Recording”. Copy the link under “Share recording with viewers” and paste the link onto the new email with your poster PDF.
Tips for Recording
• Wear clothing you would wear for an in-person poster presentation
• Speak slowly, loudly, and clearly
• Reduce distractions in your background, such as windows and bookshelves
• Adjust your camera so it is head-on and at eye level
• Practice presenting your poster before recording
Question and Answer Session
Once we receive your poster and recording, we will upload it to the website with all the symposium information. The judges will view your poster and recording before the live Q&A session.
During the Q&A session, judges and symposium attendees will be able to ask you questions about your poster and you will be given time to answer.
If you have any questions, send an email to